23 September 2008

tales from the couch~

You know, it's interesting to observe life from only two vantage points. The bed and the couch. My bed only allows for me to hear strange noises that are usually a cause for concern, so I've been spending the majority of my time on the couch. It's right in the middle of everything. I can observe, see, and direct traffic. Thankfully, my children are quite helpful and obedient, so as long as they don't figure out they could easily take over the house and eat cookies all day long and there's not a lot I will actually do about it, then we're doing pretty well.


Overheard from the couch...

Caleb~ "I'm the man of the house."

Anna~ "No you are not!"

Caleb~ "Well, when Dad's not here I am."

Anna~ "Well then, that makes me the Mom."

Anna~ "Have you noticed since Mom's been sick, we haven't gotten any spankings?"

Caleb~ "Yeah, you're right."

Anna~ "I hope she stays sick for awhile. Well...I mean, not, but....well, you know what I mean."


Let me just say here, that I don't feel like I actually spank that often. It does happen though. I thought this was a funny observation. And it's not that they've needed any spankings. I cannot say enough about how impressed I have been with ALL my children the last week.

First of all, it was sweet beyond words to see how concerned they have been for me and the baby. Several of them were in tears that first night, and since then, I have gotten more spontaneous hugs, kisses, and flowers than I can count. They have been helpful beyond their years, and 99% of the time it has been with a cheerful attitude.

And they have been doing a LOT. Especially the older ones. Anna and Caleb have graduated to cleaning the entire kitchen together. Ethan and Moriah have taken over their previous job of clearing and wiping the table and chairs as well as sweeping the floor. Anna has been doing the laundry, washing, drying, folding, and sorting all on her own. I have heard not one complaint. Unfortunately, the harshest words spoken around here have been from me when their attempts at helping haven't met up with my perfectionist standards. I've had to do a lot of apologizing. Well, not tons, but I wish I was always full of sweetness and encouraging words. That is a skill it is taking me huge amounts of effort to learn :o(

So the main parts of my house are liveable, we won't talk about what my desk looks like, and I don't want to even imagine what the upstairs looks like. Actually, yes, I do want to imagine. I want to imagine the upstairs is in perfect, Pottery Barn-like condition with children playing happily on the carpet with ONE game that they will promptly store in the appropriate color coordinated, personalized bin as soon as they are done playing.

A girl can dream....

I am most definitely in a season of life where I am learning (yet again) what is important, and that my children's smiles are more important and valuable than perfectly arranged bookshelves. (sigh.)


Observations from the couch...

**It's amazing how quickly cookie ingredients and a table appear before me when I offer to make cookies if Dad will handle the oven part.

**Children learn very quickly that if they stand directly on the side of the refrigerator, Mom cannot actually see them sneaking cookies.

**Children also learn very quickly that when Mom is "sick," she doesn't care that much if we sneak cookies, within reason of course.

**Pizza is a very easy dinner. (glad to have stocked up in gluten free pizza crusts!)

**Cereal is even easier.

**Meals in the freezer are great in theory, but when you can't actually go to the basement, thaw one and prepare it, they're not actually that helpful.

**Boys (and girls) can wear the same shirt four, five days in a row. No problem. I'm choosing to not ask about the underwear.

**My kids really like reading Proverbs. (Not quite sure how to explain the adultery chapters, though.)

**The skunk must live in our bushes and likes to eat the cat food every night. He doesn't even run off when we go out anymore, just slowly saunters off. You know, he seems friendly enough, maybe I could invite him in to lick clean my floor.

**When one spends all her time on the couch, she can't see or feel the sticky spots on the floor. Out of sight, out of mind :o)

**My husband is actually pretty good at grocery shopping. And since the advent of his gluten free days, he no longer comes home with extras.

**There is always an excuse to take a bubble bath. Sometimes two.

**Not washing one's hair for a week, in assocation with leaving it pulled up constantly and sleeping/laying on it 24/7 leads to early formation of dreadlocks.

**Facebook is lots of fun. Lots. Probably too much.

**My husband doesn't care nearly as much as I do if the sippy cup lid actually matches the cup.

**All of my kids are still small enough to nestle in beside me on the couch.

**Noah likes ER.

**Elliott Moose has got to be the dumbest show I have ever seen.

**Don't send your husband to the video store when he's in a hurry.

**Eight year old boys do not notice pillows on the floor.

**I think all my kids now know when arranging couch cusions that the zippers go on the bottom.

**Fried bologna sandwiches make excellent breakfasts. (I know, you're all cringing now. At least I buy beef bologna!)

**Haven loves the Signing Time DVD, but he loves pushing the tv buttons even more. Noah doesn't like this so much.

**My husband is amazing.

**It is not fun to wean cold turkey. Even if one was only nursing once or twice a day.

**It looks like it is going to be a beautiful fall. Well, that's what it looks like from the couch anyway. Hopefully, I can experience it in person soon.

**Why is it that I can fall asleep in two minutes flat during the day, but at night, it takes two hours?

**It's okay if the canned fruits and vegetables are not stacked in order with the labels facing forward. Really. It is.

**One's backside can only take so much sitting and lying down.

**Why doesn't it bother anyone else that Moriah's panties have been in the little bathroom for days now?

**Haven's socks from last year just aren't cutting it.

**I don't like to talk on the phone. Email me anytime, but if you call me, it will take an act of God to actually get me to return your phone call. Nothing personal, I am just not a phone person. I'm working on this, though.

**I'm getting Christmas catalogs in the mail. Christmas, people! Whatever happened to Thanksgiving? Hello?

**My aunt thinks it's great fun to show up right before naptime with four Route 44 sweet teas from Sonic.

**My extended family is awesome.

**God is faithful. Always.


Just a little taste of life here in sweetie land. I go back to the doctor this afternoon and since I've had no bleeding for a full week now, I am hoping everything is A-OK and that I can resume some light activities. We're doing pretty well, and again, I am so impressed with how my kids have all pitched in to help out. Not to mention Glen. He is awesome, and I thank God for blessing me beyond measure. I love that guy.


post signature

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Glad to get an update, as I've been wondering how you've been.
I was also wondering if you might have more computer time as a default, and thought about emailing some questions for you to blog answers to. But those pass in and out of my mind so fast, I don't think I would even make it to a pencil to jot them down before I forgot it... Oh well.

Heather said...

glad to hear that everything seems to be improving...i've been checking for updates! i'm glad i'm not the only one who sees value to coordinated sippy cup parts! i don't feel as weird now.

"How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about arithmetic, and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness." ~GK Chesterton

2012 November

2012 November