17 March 2009

chicken tortilla soup~


Stacey, if you end up trying any of these and liking them, let me know! And if there are any others you want feel free to ask. I would eventually like to get all my freezer meals on here under the celiac, recipes, and preparing for baby categories, but we'll see :o)


Chicken Tortilla Soup~


Ingredients:

*2c. cooked chicken (Can quickly sautee in olive oil just prior to cooking if needed. I try and keep bags of cooked, shredded chicken in my freezer for quick meals.)

*1/2 tsp minced garlic (I'm sure I use more as we like garlic and I just kind of dump some in.)

*1/4 tsp cumin

*4c. (32oz) chicken broth

*1c. corn (It's been awhile, but I think I probably just dump in a can of drained corn.)

*1c. chopped onion (Again, I probably use more as we like onion. I just mince a whole onion in the processor and use however much it makes.)

*1/2 tsp chili powder (My kids usually think this soup is spicy, so I'll reduce it next time.)

*1T lemon juice

*1c. preferred salsa


Directions:


**Sautee chicken in a little olive oil, butter, or whatever you prefer if not yet cooked.

**In large stock pot, sautee onion.

**Add chicken, garlic, and cumin. Mix well.

**Add broth, corn, chili powder, lemon juice, and salsa.

**Bring to boil, then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20-30 minutes.

**Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream, monterey jack cheese, etc.


******I usually freeze my soups in double bagged gallon size freezer bags. I often still get leakage when thawing, so be careful. I probably shouldn't fill them so full :o)


post signature

No comments:

"How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about arithmetic, and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness." ~GK Chesterton

2012 November

2012 November