02 October 2008

White Chicken Chili~

There is always a mad dash at our house between Glen, myself, Anna, and Caleb whenever we have this. The little kids could care less. More for us!


White Chicken Chili


Ingredients:

*5c. chicken broth

*2c. chicken

*1 small can chopped green chilis

*pinch cayenne pepper (I omit this)

*1/2c. chopped onion (or more, we like onion)

*2 cloves minced garlic

*2-3 cans great northern beans, drained (or any other bean you prefer)

*1/2 tsp. oregano

*1/8 tsp. cumin (or more if you prefer)

*2T. cornstarch mixed with 1/4c. water


Directions:

*Combine all ingredients in large stock pot.

*Cook 30 minutes at medium heat. Stir often and watch carefully, it will stick.

*Reduce heat to low, cook an additional 20 minutes. Continue to stir often and watch carefully.



**Like most soups, this is better if it sits for awhile. It's yummy from the beginning too, though.

**This sometimes is more watery than I like. You could either use less broth, use more ingredients, add more cornstarch, or remove some of the mixture, blend in a blender, and then add back to the pot.

**I freeze this like I freeze other soups. In a gallon size, double lock ziplock bag, and I double the bags.

**If you keep the ingredients on hand, this can be made in a flash. I always try and have bags of shredded chicken and chopped onion in the freezer, as well as chicken broth on hand.

**For a large family, you would probably want to double.

**Thanks to my wonderful book club friend, Julie, for another winner! Yes, I get most of my recipes from friends. :o)


post signature

No comments:

"How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about arithmetic, and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness." ~GK Chesterton

2012 November

2012 November