19 June 2008

backwards thinking on fathers~

Yesterday I read a short little book on the subject of contraception vs abortifacients called Open Embrace, A Protestant Couple Rethinks Contraception. Basically it's about natural family planning as compared to artificial means of birth control. In the foreward by J. Buudziszewski, he was talking about the concept of God being the model for fathers. I know I often have to struggle to correct my thinking in how I view the Father, so I thought this quote was great...

"We need to take more seriously the teaching that God is the Father,


the uncreated Father, the model for created fathers.


We imagine that he is called Father because He is vaguely like a father;


no, fathers are called fathers because they are vaguely like Him."


.

Now that is something I want to hold on to.








No comments:

"How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about arithmetic, and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness." ~GK Chesterton

2012 November

2012 November