07 January 2008

2007 reflections~

Oh, I hope I am able to finish this!

My friend Lori was talking the other day on her blog about 7 being considered the number of completion in the Bible and that 8 is considered the number of new beginnings. I was so excited when I read that because my spirit immediately connected with that in a big way. Yes! That is what I feel is going on with me. I feel that with the end of 2007 a season of my life was coming to completion and a new season is beginning. What that looks like exactly I'm not sure, but my spirit said yes! I feel it, I see it, and I am beginning to live it! I have felt that a time of intensity in my mothering and in my life in general is taking more of a concrete form, my ideals and the desires of my heart are becoming more cohesive and that there has been a breaking in my life. I am finally seeing some fruit in what my heart longs for in my life, and in my mothering specifically. No way am I perfect or even close to it, but some breakthrough and breaking off of some of the lingering effects of my past and some freedom has been graciously given to me! For that I am so immensely thankful. You know the verse that talks about the Spirit interceding for us with groans there are no words for? Well, I feel that my spirit along with the Spirit of the Lord in me has been groaning for some breakthrough and victory for literally years and I have finally tasted some. Again, in no way perfect or close to it, but definiately some victory!

2007 brought some sweet things to our family, the highlights being~

**i was hospitalized with pneumonia while I was 33-34 weeks pregnant in March, while not exactly a highlight, it brought a major shift in perspective that I am still pondering and overwhelming grateful...

**the addition of sweet baby Haven and his amazing birth on 30 May. I've yet to post his birth story, (which I want to do in part for my own benefit), but it was amazing and sweet and he is such a delight to us all. We are so thankful the Lord blessed with a fourth son and sixth child, we consider it a privilege and an honor to be entrusted with six precious lives.

**Glen and I celebrated our tenth anniversary on 14 June. My sweet husband planned a weekend at the Embassy Suites for us totally on his own (read: huge deal!) with no expectations (big grin!) as I was only two weeks post-partum. He took care of Haven and allowed me to nap and sleep and went out to eat wherever I wanted. For me, the celebration of our tenth anniversary was a little bit of a "ha! ha!" moment as we married sooo young (I had been 17 for two months) that a lot of people around us I think either were doing the math when we had Anna (which was over a year later just so everyone knows!) or were wondering how long it would last, or both. Anyway, I spent a good part of the summer just reflecting on God's goodness to us in our relationship. I am thankful beyond words. Glen is truly my best friend. We get along fabulously and have lots of fun together. There are not words to describe what a wonderful husband and father he is. Many people say that, but I mean it in on a level that I don't think most people grasp. He truly is exceptional. He is the best husband and father that I know and I am so thankful the Lord brought us together at such a young age. We each have grandparents that have been married for almost 60 and 70 years respectively, and I hope with my whole heart we can walk in that same blessing.

**We entered our fourth year of homeschooling and added in a new Kindergartener! That has brought new and overwhelming challenges, but those are working some good change into my character, our home, and our vision for our family, so while challenging, it is a catalyst, and therefore, a highlight.

**As mentioned earlier, our Thanksgiving and Christmas were a quiet, sweet time of family and calmness that I have strived and longed for in past years, and this year, we finally were able to rest in that. We ended the year celebrating with friends that have walked with Glen since childhood and we spend every New Year's Eve with them. There is actually a whole group of guys that have been friends, some since childhood, the rest since jr high/high school that are all godly, Christian guys that I am very thankful Glen has in his life. They kept each other accountable through high school, and continue to do so today. They are all now husbands as well as fathers, so that has brought an even deeper level to their relationship that I am thankful Glen has in his life. Ethan's birthday is also on New Year's Eve, so we now have a 6 year old!

This past year has been one of immense change in my life. Mostly related to what I was talking about earlier and engrained in the highlights of our year. It was also intensely challenging in a way I would not have wanted to know about beforehand. For most of the year, I felt as if I were treading water. Lots of ideals, good ideas, and intentions, but a lot of hard, frustrating days. It's not necessarily that life has changed, but God is working on my character and teaching me things and giving me new perspective that I am excited about. I still don't know exactly what that will look like, and the weight of the enormity of raising six precious lives in our fallen world has hit me in a whole new way recently, but I know Whom I have believed in, and am persuaded that He is able to keep me from falling, that He promises to direct my paths when I commit my ways to Him and that He is faithful, and that He loves my children even more than I do, and loves me more than I can fathom....so I can trust Him and rest in the promise of His new mercies and grace being given to me each day.

2007....a year of completion of a season in my life
2008...a year of new beginnings

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I love being able to see into other mothers lives that are in different part of the journey than I am. I have felt my ideals change radically as my children have grown. Right now that's all they feel like are ideals. It's encouraging to hear you say that you are seeing yours working themselves into reality.

Anonymous said...

Dear Shyla,

I stumbled onto your blog through a MOMYS post. I have laughed and cried and been so encouraged the past couple of days as I have read through some of your entries. I, too, am 27, married for 6.5 years, and we have 4 sweet girls. I gotta tell you, I am waiting and praying to be at that place where I feel like things are looking up. Not that things are bad by any means, just being bogged down with diapers and spit up and breaking up fights over toys, you know the day to day happenings of any mom! I feel like everything I have is ideals and ideas, but I feel like I am never going to get any of them out! Just like you said... I feel like I am barely keeping my head above water!!! I guess I have just gotten bogged down with these little things... forgetting the big picture. You have encouraged me so much! I just want to say thank you! I look forward to gleaning more from you. I SO appreciate your heart to encourage other moms.

Blessings to you!

Shannon Mallory
mrsmicah@cox.net

Anonymous said...

I found your blog through the MOMYS blog list. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the coming year. 2007 really brought some changes for us as well and we are looking forward to what 2008 has to offer us. Thank you for sharing!

Tracy

"How can it be a large career to tell other people’s children about arithmetic, and a small career to tell one’s own children about the universe? How can it be broad to be the same thing to everyone, and narrow to be everything to someone? No; a woman’s function is laborious, but because it is gigantic, not because it is minute. I will pity Mrs. Jones for the hugeness of her task; I will never pity her for its smallness." ~GK Chesterton

2012 November

2012 November